Saturday, July 25, 2015

~*Review*~ Shattered by Cassandre Dayne


Title: Shattered
Author: Cassandre Dayne
Genre: New Adult, Erotic, M/M Romance
Series or Standalone: Standalone 
Rating: 3 Stars

Review


I actually came across this story myself on Netgalley, while looking for different things to read. The cover was enticing, the blurb even more so and considering I can handle male on male stories, having written one myself (albeit a YA version), I was ready to jump in. 

This book was hard for me to get through and I hate that I have to say that. It had all the makings of pretty spectacular book quite frankly, but there were quite a few inconsistencies that stood out to me that in the end, left me struggling to finish it. 

Now, as a reader and reviewer, I don’t actively look at the editing of a book. I really don’t. I suppose if I came across a story that was just fraught with issues, I might have to look at it, but for the most part, I mean, as long as everything flows, I can get behind the characters and there’s a great story being told, I’m golden. 

This is the exception. It would jump at times and in such an unclear way that I had trouble keeping up. I would have to go back, read over what I had just read to make sure it wasn’t my brain skipping parts or just not letting words sink in. Having to do that, takes away from the story for me and it did it quite a bit here. 

In terms of steam level in regards to the love scenes throughout the book, I have to give the author her due. They were written quite well. And even though I had issues with some of the characters at times, they did come across as real people, and in no way one dimensional, or like cardboard cut outs. 

There were redeeming qualities apart from the things I’ve mentioned above, and because reading is subjective (and I happened to be in an editing mode on my book while I read this), you might want to pick it up and give it a shot yourself and see how it works for you. You may find it all worked for you where it didn’t for me, and if that’s the case, that’s great. It just didn’t hit the mark for me personally.

That being said, I did manage to come across a new author in this journey, and that can never be a bad thing. Especially when there’s a library of her other works just waiting around the bend to be read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment