Saturday, August 22, 2015

~*★Review★*~ Lost Heartbeats ( Alexander & Maya #2) by Ella Maise

Title: Lost Heartbeats
Author: Ella Maise
Genre: Contemporary Romance, New Adult, Erotica 
Series or Standalone: Series (Alexander & Maya #2)
Rating:     
Reviewer: Melyssa

If you’re stumbling across this book and the blurb grips you the way it did me, stop where you are right now and head back to Lost Prelude. Because as they say, one cannot exist without the other and in order to truly understand what takes place here, you’ve first got to read how we got to where we are when the book starts.

Alright, now that you’ve done that, I’ll dive into my review.

This one picks up 4 months after the events of Lost Prelude and begins with Alexander on a plane, finally going after the one he let get away. After suffering a debilitating loss, he needs the one person he knows can heal him. The one that can understand him and though he hasn’t entirely admitted it to himself when the book starts, the one that can love him through it all.

I was a little surprised with how easily he was accepted back into her life. I have to say, I was expecting a bit more resistance at first, but once I got past that, I started to see what I did in the other story. What I liked about it. These two people that have been broken by life’s circumstances, they need each other like they need air to breathe. Nothing is going to be logical when it comes to them because feelings, and more importantly, love, isn’t logical.

It was a beautiful thing getting to experience things from Alexander’s head in this book. What I didn’t understand about him, but was intrigued by throughout the first story, I was able to get a much clearer view on here. I began to see how he operates, what makes him tick and what kind of person he really is. It’s still, now that I’m finished, one of the best parts of this book series for me and I think it always will be.

He still comes across very brash. Some of his decisions and the choices he ultimately makes (ones that the more you read see cost him everything he truly loves) wouldn’t be ones I would make, but are very real in that, when you’re driven by grief, pain, anger, even happiness, you won’t always do things the way the rest of the way would. I was upset with him quite a few times here, sometimes truly gutted in my heart by the chain reaction his choices caused for Maya. I wanted to hate him. I wanted to chuck the book and walk away but I couldn’t because ultimately, I understood him.

Go figure, I understood an alpha male. Kudos to the author for that. Normally I can’t get on their level with Alexander I did. It’s like this quote I heard one time. “You can’t have everyone like you all the time. Sometimes you have to choose and this time, you chose wrong.” Now, this wasn’t about having everyone like him for Alexander, it was about doing the right thing by everyone, but the end result is the same. Sometimes, no matter how much you want to make everyone happy around you, fix things, you have to choose and in a few instances, god love him, he chose wrong. And the final time it cost him something he didn’t even realize he had until it was gone.

Like the previous books, I felt a kinship with Maya and while there were moments where I felt she was putting up with a lot more from him than she should have, it wasn’t enough to sway me away from her. And just like the previous story, the times when flashbacks of her time with her father would come into play, my heart would ache. It was especially emotionally gripping to me whenever the piano would come into play, the similarities between Alexander playing it and her dad too poignant to ignore. When she cried, I cried with her and for her. Which only made me want a happy ending for her even more than I did before.

A happy ending that came (no spoilers), but not without some pain first. Which as a writer and a reader, is my favorite type of ending. If everything was roses all the time, it wouldn’t work for me. People, they’re human and humans by nature make mistakes, go through things that have the power to cripple them, make them lose themselves and then when they come back, come back bigger and better than ever. That is what happens here. Just when they both experience something that they shouldn’t be able to come back from, through the healing power of the love they share…they do.

Basically a book that took me by surprise turned into one hell of a story and one that I had a hard time putting down because I just needed to see how it would all play out in the end.


Ella Maise, you’ve outdone yourself. Thank you for writing such a beautiful story. For shattering my heart into a million pieces and then putting it back together again. I enjoyed every second of it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment